As of late my husband of 29 years and I have started watching the old Star Trek series on TV. Each Tuesday is "protected" from the demands of life and we stop the world if just for an evening. After a quiet dinner we curl up on the sofa for some good veg out time. We both loved Star Trek. Well, loved maybe too strong a word. Maybe it's that we loved the time in our lives when Star Trek was new and exciting and we were growing up in the 60's with little to worry about, but school, friends and family. I think probably the second, right?
This brings me to my next blog entry and the belief that most of our perspectives on things simply are relative to where we are in our life's journey. My grandfather had some very quirky, witty sayings and one I often reflect on is, "You know what old is?" he would ask. of course I was a good audience and ponder, "No, Grandpa, what is old?" and he would chuckle and say, "Old is 25 years older than you are and young is 25 years younger than you are." He would walk off with a smile and shaking his head believing he had left a little wisdom with me. thanks Grandpa. You were right.
So I wonder as we (children of the 60's that remember not only where they were when the twin towers were hit, but where they were when Kennedy was assassinated) think our childhood reigns supreme over our children's and their children's that maybe it's just relative. This is there time or should be there time to not worry about much other than will their favorite show be on tv and what's for dinner. I want to believe in the hearts and heads of children there is a special place protected by all the world's stress and worry where they can escape; a place of Star Trek and family dinners and playing outside 'til the street lights come on. 'Cause when they grow into themselves this is the time they will look back on with fondness regardless of what we baby-boomers think. I hope beyond hope that they do.
So as you move about your life, whichever timeline location you find yourself, just remember it truly is all relative...
'til next time,
Beam me up Scottie
I love you! That's all I have to say. I truly do!
ReplyDelete